With a long, accomplished career in music, Doran Bastin is most recently furthering his creative explorations through photography - a medium that continues to keep pace alongside music, facing with similar strengths, challenges, and opportunities.
Known for his black and white urban landscapes, Doran approaches the medium and his subjects with a keen, compassionate eye; finding intimate moments in some of the most unlikely places. Inspired by luminaries such as Lee Friedlander and Garry Winogrand, his photographs capture humanity, growth, and change in the Pacific Northwest, specifically in Seattle, Washington and Portland, OR where he divides his time.
His recent work has been awarded first place in the 13th Annual National Photography Exhibition at FotoFoto Gallery in NY, Jurors Merit Award in the “International All About Photo 2017 Awards, featured in Photographic Center Northwest's Long Shot exhibition, “Daylighted,” and awarded third place in the 2016 Collective Visions Gallery annual exhibition. Doran is a scrum master by day, a musician by night, and a photographer at heart.
"All of this photographer’s images are like film stills, pulling me into the mystery of the scenes, making me wonder at the settings, the subjects, the stories. Transporting me, really. Bastin’s photograph with the backlit car driving on a dusky road as night is falling is poetic and moody and both thrilling and frightening, surreal and beautiful, all at once. I responded to a number of the images he submitted, but because of constraints, only accepted two into the exhibition. This one of the car is somehow nostalgic too, making me think of summer nights and the past and having enough time for a slow drive through the back roads. And the lighting, real or staged, is perfect. There’s also something about this scene that reminds me of the film, Double Indemnity…a favorite of mine."
Ann Jastrab - Editor-in-Chief -All About Photo
GROUP SHOWS and JURIED EXHIBITIONS
- 2018-2019: April / April - Blue Sky Gallery, Portland, OR - Pacific Northwest Photography Viewing Drawers
- 2018: January / March - Foto Foto Gallery, New York - National Juried Show
- 2018: January / February - Collective Visions Gallery - Washington State Juried Show
- 2016: Black Lab Gallery - Archaeologies of the Extraordinary Everyday
- 2016: Collective Visions Gallery - Washington State Juried Art Competition and Show
- 2016: Photographic Center Northwest - City Panorama Public Art Installation. (Seattle)
- (1st Place) 13th Annual National Photography Competitition Exhibition - Foto Foto Gallery - Huntington, NY
- (3rd place - Photography) Collective Visions Gallery - Washington State Juried Art Competition and Show.
- (Jurors Merit Award) International 2017 All About Photo Awards
- Photographic Center Northwest selection for City Panorama 2016 - Seattle Public art Installation